equator

equator

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Monday, December 16, 2013                                     


            Well, it’s time to leave Shimoni! Tomorrow morning we all depart our separate ways to visit our future site. We dealt with cockroaches in our closets, half of us getting sick, dirty bathrooms, crowded rooms, and it being really hot. And we needed it. We’re not going to live in the little Kulika bubble for the majority of our time in Uganda, so we had to get used to more realistic living conditions. My first time using a pit latrine? At the bar. It wasn’t terrible, it was pretty hilarious, actually, watching Taylor hold the light for me in this back alley pit latrine as I try to aim in the hole. I’m sure I’ll get used to it. After that, I used it a few times at the school if the Turkish toilets got a little too gross. Was it ideal? No, but I’ve learned since being in Uganda that you just have to work with what you’ve got. We had every meal cooked for us, electricity most of the time, and water when we needed it. We were blessed with a lot more than most people have. And in that case, how can I complain? It’s been just over a month in country, and it’s been hard at times, but I’ve loved every bit of it. Now it’s off to site for three days to get a tour, see our home, and make sure everything is what it should be!
   
             
The sunsets are my favorite.


Our last visit to the bar to say goodbye!

1 comment: