equator

equator

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

January 23, 2014

It’s official! I’m a Peace Corps Volunteer! It took seventy days of training, but we made. Unfortunately, we lost a few on the way. Those first three months we were considered trainees, but now after swearing in we can take on the title of volunteer. Training was a tough road, but I’m excited for the next step of my journey! I learned how to teach, I learned Luganda (shout out to Dan and Herbert for being the best language trainers around!), and I learned, somewhat, how to survive in Uganda. This past week we’ve all been back together, which has been great! We were with each other step by step for over two months and have been separated in our language groups for the past month, so it’s been so great to be back together with everyone! There’s a club close by the conference center, and let’s just say we’ve utilized it to its fullest to celebrate together. But first let me back track…
            On the 17th we had our language exam called the LPI, or language proficiency interview. Peace Corps requires you to pass your language at a certain level, OR ELSE. Just kidding. But really, we’re supposed to be good enough at our language to be considered ‘intermediate low’ in regards to help with integration and whatnot. So we meet early at school and I’m freaking out. It comes to be my turn and I leave thinking I’ve done a pretty decent job. Taylor and I head into town afterwards to grab a few things for the day’s activities. While in town I get a call saying I need to come back to the school. I come to find out that my exam was, unfortunately, not recorded. They have to record and keep all the exams as proof, I guess? I’m not really sure. Anyway, I had to take it again. I had tests, especially anything oral. Make that a 10-20 minute conversation all in Luganda and you got my anxiety all through the roof. After the first time, it felt like a huge weight was off my shoulders, but it definitely helped me be more confident going into it again. I don’t think I did as well, but I wasn’t as nervous. Regardless, it’s over with.  We celebrated our long month of language training and finishing of the LPI with a pool day that afternoon! One of our language trainers found a pool nearby, and by nearby I mean an hour trek down a dusty dirt road. Finally we reached Nimrod Hotel, yes that is the name, and spent a fantastic day sunbathing and swimming. It was just what was needed!



On our last day of homestay, January 18th, we held a party at the school for all the families.  To prepare, both boys and girls had ordered matching kitenge outfits – girls got dresses and boys got tunics. We arrived at the school early so we could get pictures of our group in our sweet outfits and our creative minds came up with a different picture for each month of the year. Shout out to Marvin, our creative lead and photographer. Check it out:

January: Model Pose
"Hot as ballsack." 
February: Girls vs. Guys
"Girls can also do it."
March: Stump Pic
"Got wood?"
April: Borehole
"Too much nfuufu and not enough amazzi."
May: Prom Pose
"Virginity is healthy."
June: Boyband/Inception
"Uganda love us."
July: Swimsuit Pose
"When you're in a picle, you'd rather be in a pineapple."
August: Giardia
"One of Christopher Columbus' friends probably died of Giardia."
September: Back to Ssomero
"You were a nun!?"
October: Asleep in Class
"We have so many activities planned for today."
November: Together
"Wamu."
December: The Last Supper
"Funa ku kitereevu kyaffe!"

            After the photoshoot the families started arriving. We had a powerpoint with pictures of all the families, played games, did an “American dance aka ‘The Cha Cha Slide’ (it’s pretty lame we don’t have anything cooler than that), had a few little speeches, and then a big, nice lunch. Each family was named and brought to the front and given a certificate. They all really enjoyed and I hope we were able to make them feel special!














           

















         


           The past week included Supervisor’s Workshop prior to swearing in. The conference was to include what our role as a volunteer is, what their role as a supervisor is, and how we can work together to increase academic performance, literacy rate, and improve the school environment. My supervisor showed up for the last day, so. . . that was awesome. Hopefully that’s not a reflection on what it’s going to be like once we get to school.
             We also got to shop around Kampala a bit for things for our home and I’m so super excited to move in, to have our own place and stop living out of a bag. Taylor and I also decided to get pedicures while in Kampala, and it was one fantastic decision. You’d be surprised (or maybe not) how dirty and callous-y your feet get here. Even after you bathe your feet are still dirty. So a pedicure, in my opinion, was a fabulous decision, and we looked good for swearing in.
The actual swearing in process was pretty cool. On January 22nd, we traveled to the US Ambassador’s house, which by the way is huge and decorated beautifully; also, an incredibly beautiful bathroom that I would probably be content living in. Everyone involved in our training from our trainers, Ugandan and American, to our drivers were there, which helped make it feel so special. Some speeches were made and then our country director (who’s fantastic) read our names and we swore in as volunteers. Afterwards they brought out food, like real food – spicy chicken with ranch, spring rolls, BROWNIES, and more. It. Was. Delicious.







           


Well, it’s off to Biikira for us! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment